The Hernando Historical Museum Association began in 1976. Five civil minded Brooksville citizens banded together to form a not for profit association for the purpose of providing, fostering and encouraging public interest in historical Hernando county, and to accomplish this purpose by collecting, preserving, restoring, arranging, and displaying articles depicting pioneer family life in the county of Hernando and the state of Florida.
The Hernando Historical Museum Association is a non-profit, all-volunteer organization operated by a Board of Directors.
The current officers are:
Ron Daniel, President
Virginia Rusk, Vice-president
Mary Sheldon, 2ndVice-president
Bonnie Letourneau, Secretary
Kathy Vidal, Treasurer
In 1980 the Association leased the house located at 601 Museum Ct. Brooksville with an option to buy. In 1985 the purchase was completed and the May Stringer House became the first museum in Brooksville. Volunteers completely restored the house with the help of grants to buy the materials.
In 1991 The Hernando Historical Museum Association purchased the 1885 Train Depot along with an acre and half of land on Russell St. from CSX Railroad for $12,600 and restored the building. It is now a museum for visitors to enjoy.
The Countryman Family One Room school house is a new structure built in 2014 after fourteen years of fund raising by museum volunteers, especially Gretchen Countryman. It is next to the Train Depot on Russell St. The school is a replica of a 1800s one room school.
The three museums are staffed by dedicated volunteers and the museums receive visitors from other states and other countries as well as Hernando County citizens.
Come see us